This week was a total mind fuck for us really and honestly I’m still trying to sort out my own thoughts and feelings. Anyway, as we talked through these things and the issues that I’ve been grappling with for awhile it felt like light bulbs just kept going off above our heads. I love this whole thing for a few reasons:
- The conversation enabled both of us to grow and change our own ideas about how we view other women and girls and I think challenging our own beliefs and ideas is something so important to growth.
- It is okay to be wrong and to have beliefs that change as you grow and to admit that you might have been wrong. We live in a world where we like to cancel people, but cancelling them doesn’t encourage the growth we want to see. This conversation demonstrates, in real time, how you can hold beliefs that can change in the matter of a conversation and how talking through tough issues can be better understood with a friend—what awesome power. Keep talking about hard things, people and we can enact change.
Okay, I’m off my soapbox. Here’s a few links to things that we talk about:
1. Ben Shapiro talking WAP. Just. Lol.
2. Billie Eilish- Her interview is here and after considering the way we view these famous women and their decisions (see below) it makes the most sense to just read her take in her own words. Also, she shared the rework of the headline pictured, so assuming she agreed.
3. Britney Doc— Just a note here. After talking through this I saw that Britney “broke her silence” about the recent documentaries about her. And honestly what she said made me feel like we are hypocrites to continue to accept media portrayals of her instead of listening to her directly: “I have been exposed my whole life performing in front of people !!! It takes a lot of strength to TRUST the universe with your real vulnerability cause I've always been so judged... insulted... and embarrassed by the media... and I still am till this day!!!!”
I don’t know, this is such a tricky thing, but she’s so right. The media manipulated her and now documentaries come out just making assumptions about her again and we’re into it! Anyway, just going to be over here trying to figure out how to stop judging people and to listen to their own experiences and interpretations from their own mouths.....